Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gingerbread cookies


Last week I made gingerbread cookies. This week one of my favorite bloggers asked her readers to write about cookies, and so I do. Julia wrote that her 2 year old wanted to eat all the dough.... so did my nearly 2 year old (and his mom, I must admit). The good thing about this gingerbread is that it doesn't have raw egg in it, so if you are the kind who would worry about that usually, you can relax with this batch of cookie dough. And your two year old will be able to sneak dough with impunity.

Before I give the recipie, let me tell you what I thought of the result. In general, the cookies were very tasty. Spicy enough to check my cookie craving at 2 cookies, but mild enough for my toddler and his buddies. They are chewy. Not a word I usually like associated with gingerbread cookies. My mom's gingerbread boys were used for eating and decorating & my father used the power drill to put a hole in each little cookie's head for a ribbon so it could go on the tree. Suffice it to say, these cookies would not hold up to such treatment. I love a very crisp gingerbread boy, so if you have a recipe, please do share!

Here's what good old Betty Crocker told me to do:

Mix the following, by hand with a spoon, or with a mixer on medium:
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. shortening
1 & 1/2 c. dark molasses
2/3 c. cold water

This makes for an odd mix, I thought I had done something wrong. I used an electric mixer, and I think that made it much easier, since you are trying to mix shortening and water (unhappy bedfellows).

Next, stir in these ingredients by hand:
7 c. flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 350. Grease or spray cookie sheet lightly.

Roll dough 1/4 in. thick on floured surface. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 2" apart on cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 min. or until no indentation remains when touched. Immediately remove to wire cooking rack.

This makes about 2 & 1/2 dozen cookies for you and your favorite people. (Thanks to some of my favorite people, Lee and Margaret, for asking for the recipe, too!)


2 comments:

  1. Emily, that is so sweet! Good idea on choosing a dough with no eggs in it. Even though I think I ate my adult weight in cookie dough as a child, I still feel squeamish about it. That's why when he helps me with bread, he can have a few pinches. Or handfuls. Does your son eat flour? Mine does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia- yes! He loves flour, and he sort of likes cornmeal as well. He certainly loves to spread both all over his face. And it keeps him 100% occupied and happy for a good, long time. -E

    ReplyDelete