Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Happy Solstice to all.... a little late!

I had high hopes of staying up to see the lunar eclipse up here in (almost) the North Country... snow on the ground... red moon in the sky. However, sheer exhaustion won out and instead I settled for dreaming of the eclipse. In my dream the moon was covered in mini-marshmallows and spinning around very quickly. Cool dreams, happy solstice.

It was a good day, though, since I was able to visit my Aunt Ellen's house... she is undoubtedly the queen of all things cozy. Her little 1920s era bungalow was a lovely place to be for a visit for a little while. I have always loved her house and visiting. Recently, I found a little note I had written to my Mom. It seemed like I was apologizing for something I had said or done, and the "P.S." read: "Pleeeeese let me sleep over at Aunt Ellen's this Friday night." I was probably about ten.

What attracted me then is the same as now: lots and lots of books, lovely plants, interesting prints on the walls, knitting projects in various stages, old photos, warm afghans, and soft couches. Ahhhhh..... the perfect place to spend an afternoon. It was a lovely thing to do to welcome back the light!

2 comments:

  1. You captured the coziness perfectly. I love her house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of you to say what you did about my house. It makes me want to quit my job and work full time making it more cozy. But honestly, the one reason it was cozy is because of the two dear little elves who came to visit me that day. Without them here, it's just another house.

    ReplyDelete