Friday, December 3, 2010

Potato Fennel Soup tonight

I actually just sliced nearly 8 cups of onions without having a teary meltdown. I kept telling Theo--"Mama's going to start crying!" But it never happened. So, maybe I'm getting accustomed to onion cooking finally. Maybe it doesn't work that way. Anyway, I'm making soups this fall like a madwoman, and I cannot WAIT to get our chest freezer so I can quadruple recipes and have plenty of room in the freezer.

I'm trying to figure out what makes a really hearty vegetarian meal. A nice loaf of bread helps. A side of green stuff, whatever is available is always good. I know that beans always round out a meal, and last night we had root veggie/brussels sprouts melange with Jacob's Cattle beans. Our rice looked and smelled funny, so we didn't eat that. I don't think rice spoils per se, but something was amiss with this particular bag. Insects? That's one thing to watch out for with bulk stuff. Ick. Moth infestations are the pits. Costly, too. Let's hope that this house will never know one.

Alas, I was supposed to be waxing poetic about my Potato Fennel soup, how did I get on moths? While cutting the fennel, Theo kept saying "baby too!" and reaching for the fennel. He loved to chew on it.

So tonight our soup will be a rich and creamy delight, if it comes out as well as it did last time. But, there's no diary, and very little fat. The potatoes seem to really get soft and lovely. Even nicer after freezing and reheating. I do find that most soups improve with a freezing. The flavors mingle a bit more and veggies start to become indistinguishable from one another. Maybe it takes a funny palate to call that an advantage, but my toddler agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment