Wednesday, February 16, 2011

signs of spring


one soup that can still be made largely from local ingredients, even in winter!


bread resting before going in the oven


We're still eating like it's winter, but the little guy and I got out for a little walk around the block to see what we could see. We saw our neighbor and had a conversation with him during which no one seemed to get too cold. That's a good sign of spring. We saw much more grass along the edges of the sidwalk than I thought we would, and we both got somewhat muddy. Springy. We heard and saw ice dripping and snow melting. Spring! Spring! And we heard birds, now I'm pretty sure they are not the harbinger-of-spring sorts of birds, but heck, I'll call it a sign of spring.

I decided that just because most of the "nature" preserves around here are decidedly unfriendly for toddlers in this kind of winter doesn't mean we don't have other choices. We moved to this neighborhood partially because it seemed walkable. Nice sidewalks and houses and trees, etc. It lifted our spirits immensely to simply get some sunshine and breathe some air. I'm still very much in the process of adjusting to town life, and remembering that nature walks don't have to be out in the fields or woods is one adjustment that is worth making. It's the air, the sun, the breeze, the neighbors, the snow melting--- all of these things that make getting out for a walk worthwhile. It's also nice to not have to get in the car to enjoy any of it. Our backyard may be inaccessible, but people around here (my husband included) do a decent job with their sidewalks, and darn it, we're going to enjoy all their hard work!

P.S. Do you like my new background? It's a little choppier (no pun intended) than I would like it to be, but I love the color. Over the weekend Ken was in our old town and was able to go to the Farmer's Market there. Our friends Brian and Anita (awesome farmers!) really got us hooked on local veggies about 9 years ago. They still have amazing offerings at the market, and these carrots (for the beet soup) were too lovely not to photograph, don't you think? Such a delicate orange. They were juicy, sweet, and somehow seemed oh-so light and airy. Not something I usually associate with a root veggie, but somehow it suited that batch of carrots.

1 comment:

  1. February is the beginning of bird songs as harbingers of Spring. I've been hearing one or two myself. I can just tell it is their spring sound. Thanks for the breath of spring air in your blog.

    ReplyDelete