Monday, June 27, 2011




Our CSA officially started a few weeks back, and we are starting to get some really nice looking vegetables. The beets above are wild looking, aren't they? Glad I got this shot, because in my attempt to "braise" them, I kind of charred them to a crisp and they lost that peppermint candy appeal. The beet greens were deliciously tender. The little guy, however, prefers his beets raw and plentiful.

beet boy

We had some delicious radishes that I sauteed in butter, vinegar, and salt. Yum! If you've never tried cooking radishes, it's worth the effort, let me assure you.

I'm pretty happy so far with the share, provided I don't compare it with the farms in our old area... not only do I miss their veggies, but I also miss really knowing the people who grow what comes to our table. Our current CSA is run by a board of directors who hired a farmer to work the land! I mean, it's cool, but it's not exactly the small family farm scene.

Our own little family farm (ha ha ha-- read: 2 overgrown pea patches and a row of tomatoes) is faring pretty well, despite the neglect. We missed the boat on our shelling peas. Somehow they matured and got too old before we even noticed them. But we are loving our "sugar 'nap peas" as our little guy calls them. Can't wait to see what the tomato plants will yield.

Our summer has been wonderful so far. Just delightful. I'm relishing every moment.

XO

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great basic radish recipe- will be sure to try it. We never ate radishes as children so I am always a little lsot as to what to do with them other than add them to salads. THanks for the suggestion. Looks like your boy loves em. xo m.

    ReplyDelete