Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Our beloved Lula, 2004-2012

the last picture we have with Lula in it

Our kitty Lula died this morning at home in her kitty bed. Her symptoms pointed to some kind of intestinal cancer, but we will never know for sure. She was eight years old, and we will miss her so much. Lula was the first kitty I ever had. She showed up in the backyard of the little red house where Ken lived when we met, and then where we both lived when we were newlyweds. She was sick and hungry and teeny tiny when we met her. It was April, and the vet suggested she might have been a dumped dorm kitty, which I was surprised to learn even was a category.

Once she recovered from her foray in the wild, she became a wonderful house kitty. Playful, clean, sweet, and beautiful. She really was a beautiful cat with lovely striped markings on her face.

She wasn't a lap cat, per se. She was very selective, and always loved Ken the best. If I had a scanner and time, I'd post one of the many photos I have of Lula curled up in the crook of his arm while they both slept. So sweet. And today poor Ken was out digging a grave for her. We selected a nice spot under our bedroom widow in the shady hosta garden and I will always think of her when I look at the mammoth hosta that, by summer, will be covering her little grave.

Lula changed me as a person. I remember telling my long-time best friend that we found a kitty and were adopting her. Her reaction was "And do you actually touch her?" I wasn't always much of an animal person. But something about Lula really changed all of that. My relationship with her certainly changed after the arrival of our first child, but again, I can't pretend to know how she felt about it. I remember worrying and worrying about her whenever we would leave. But lately, it was just nice to see her come out after the kids went to bed and snuggle with us on the couch. Ken said that it's too bad she didn't get to see us on the other side of all this toddler and baby craziness. I agree. We really will miss her so much.

Rest in peace, sweet kitty. You were well loved in your lifetime, and we are so glad you found us.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry, Emily. Thinking of you guys xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the hard thing about having pets, they give you so much joy but you know that, eventually, you will have to say goodbye to them. You gave her such a happy life and she returned that happiness. That is all you can ask for. Just keep thinking of all the happy and cuddly times you had with her. There is also a very good book about losing a pet called "The Tenth Good Thing About Barney". Short little book but great to read to kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for that book--thanks. So far he seems pretty calm about the death, but it's hard to know what he really thinks about it. We did have many happy cuddly times with her. She was a sweet kitty.

      Delete
    2. It's not only a good book for children.......it's good for adults too! A very sweet story.

      Delete
    3. I'm going to look for it. Thanks so much. It's at our public library, and I will check it out.

      Delete
  3. I have always loved the story about how you took Lula in when you discovered her in a very needy state in your yard. How lucky she was that she chose to sit in YOUR yard and mew for help. She could not have been any more loved anywhere else on earth. The house must seem very empty without her. Better days are coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky she chose us. I remember she would come running through the daffodils to greet us whenever we called her (while she was still an outdoor stray). Such a sweetie.

      Delete
  4. That photo is really precious. She was a sweet cat. xoxo

    ReplyDelete