Thursday, March 8, 2012

eating the tomato crop

We've been occasionally dipping in to our freezer and using some tomatoes we froze last year. I posted at the time about trying it as an experiment, and reporting back. Well, it hasn't been a failure entirely. We have used many tomatoes, and I like that we used our freezer for keeping some of the harvest. Next time, though, I'm going to puree them first. I had the big food mill that I bought for applesauce-making out yesterday to puree some winter squash for a recipe and to see if our little one likes it. That's when I realized that I could fairly easily slice the tops off the tomatoes and run them through this food mill and have pureed tomatoes! Then, we can easily freeze one-cup (or more) servings in glass jars and use them as needed. I like this idea more than freezing whole tomatoes, since all I really need them for is sauce and soup in the winter. I just tried it on some frozen Juliettes, and it worked really well for making beet soup tonight.

What's your favorite way to keep your garden crops?


1 comment:

  1. I'm remembering the freezing of tomatoes as a very messy and time-consuming process. I'm thinking we blanched them in a big pot of boiling water. But maybe we only blanched them enough to loosen the skin and soften them up so we could pull the skin right off. Then we chopped them, put them through the food mill to remove the seeds, then blended it all and froze the puree. What a mess, but it smelled good. I'll have to ask Dad what he remembers about that process.

    ReplyDelete