Although it was a lovely and sunny day, we spent much of it inside making preparations for Easter week. Today's tasks were started early in the morning with simmering some food for dyes. This year in addition to using turmeric for yellow, we also tried onion skins.
They worked well, but the yellow was a little more mellow. However, it's a cleaner dye, since there aren't specks of the spice still in the dye when it is used. T did his part by chopping the cabbage.
Last year I was so pleased with our egg dyeing, but this year something seemed off. The dye just didn't stick to the eggs in the same way as it had in the past. I think this is because I didn't boil the dye material with the vinegar. I just added the vinegar later. We didn't get any real blue out of the cabbage. The results were still pretty.