Thursday, January 2, 2014

At the Feeder

Seaside Sparrow 


Blue Jay
On Christmas Eve I put up our old bird feeders to see what would happen.  For years I've loved watching birds, and in college I took 2 advanced Ornithology courses-- easily two of my favorite courses as an undergrad.  We really didn't see too many birds before we left to visit family on the 27th, but by the time we returned, word had gotten out and we had birds!

I wasn't expecting to see anything *new* to me, but we have a regular Seaside Sparrow at the feeder--a first for me.  I haven't added anything to my life-list in years and it felt good to finally be at it again.  It's also pretty wonderful to look at everyday birds, like the Blue Jay, up close.

The kids are really loving it, too.  Charles just likes pointing and saying "birdies!," but Theo likes copying the names down on paper and making graphs and maps of the birds we have seen.

Here's what we have so far:
Cardinal
Downy Woodpecker
Dark-Eyed Junco
Seaside Sparrow
House Sparrow
Tufted Titmouse
Black-Capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
Mourning Dove
Song Sparrow

So glad I put it up!



No comments:

Post a Comment